Friday, April 12, 2013

Book Review: The Truth About Forever By: Sarah Dessen

 
Book Description:
a long, hot summer...

That's what Macy has to look forward to while her boyfriend, Jason, is away at Brain Camp. Days will be spent at a boring job in the library, evenings will be filled with vocabulary drills for the SATs, and spare time will be passed with her mother, the two of them sharing a silent grief at the traumatic loss of Macy's father.

But sometimes unexpected things can happen—things such as the catering job at Wish, with its fun-loving, chaotic crew. Or her sister's project of renovating the neglected beach house, awakening long-buried memories. Things such as meeting Wes, a boy with a past, a taste for Truth-telling, and an amazing artistic talent, the kind of boy who could turn any girl's world upside down. As Macy ventures out of her shell, she begins to wonder, Is it really better to be safe than sorry?

My Thoughts:
Someone from my old job gave me this book because she just didn't want it. SWEET free books! who could say no to that?!

Well I read a book by Sarah Dessen before called, "Just Listen" and I loved it! I was so impressed at a hard topic and wrote a fabulous novel about it! I really felt for the characters and everything! I loved her writing!

So I happy to get this book and didn't get around to reading it till now, but I liked it a lot! Plus it was
NOT a wizard/mind-reader/necromancer/vampire/werewolf/Cornish Piskie/zombie in sight. HOO-RAH!!! Outstanding supporting cast. Food. Best friends. Good grief and real emotions. Being the person you want to be not the person they want you to be. Boys. Girls with go go boots. Running out of control. It was GREAT!

I liked how I could relate to the characters, I remember what I felt (in many aspects of Dessen's books) as a teenager trying to figure myself on in who/what I wanted to be and things I kept inside because of what I thought was best. 

The only problem I have with this author's books is there is ALWAYS A LOT of drinking (or so it seems in the books I've read). I guess teenagers do it more than I thought? Whatever it makes it seem like it's what they do all the time and that it's a norm and it's ok... so that's a down-er.

Overall: really enjoyed it, would recommend to some people but not to everyone.

Language:moderate
Drug/Alcohol:heavy
Sexual Content: none
Violence: mild

4 comments:

  1. I'm kinda a big Sarah Dessen fan. It started after reading Along For the Ride. May I recommend that one for you to read? I, personally, LOVED IT!
    Love your blog and am now a happy follower! So glad your sister gave a shout out for you so I could find you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have read Along For The Ride but I didn't like as much as this one or Just Listen. I really want to read her latest book! Gonna have to get my hands on it quick!

      Delete
  2. I love Dessen and this is actually my favorite Dessen book. If you liked This Lullaby I would suggest reading Just Listen by Dessen. I feel it is a good mix between This Lullaby and The Truth About Forever.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this one as much as I loved Just Listen I really want to read her newest one and This Lullaby. Haven't been able to read that yet but looking forward to it, especially since you say it's as good as Just Listen! Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete