Saturday, April 13, 2013

Book Review: Masque of the Red Death By: Bethany Griffin

Book Description:
Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.

My Thoughts:
Why did I give it 2 stars? because I got through the book. So, We’ve all read the Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allan Poe, or at least most of us have, because I hadn't I had to do some research to understand this book and now I understand. But have you ever wondered what kind of state the world would have to be in for such a tale to take place? Well in this author's book we are swept into the inner-workings of a bleak realm. The world has been devestated by a fierce contagion. Everyone must wear masks. Everyone is at risk.  

 But I had several bones to pick with this book and one of them is the the main character, who (in my opinion) needs a good swift kick in the butt. So...when she confronted with someone who has sacrificed so much to save his younger siblings, someone who faces food shortages and walks out into the streets risking violence and the plague everyday, Araby's (main character) reaction is to feel sorry for herself! Darn girl, seriously? GAG! And what's with this vow she takes upon herself? I don't understand it! I have never come across someone who has lost a loved one and has vowed never to experience what the loved one will never experience. I've encountered people who had decided to live their life more fully because of it. But never less so. It makes no sense to me. There is no one I personally know who would want me, if they died, to live a half-empty life. So I didn't get that...
And what's with her wanting the very guy who betrayed her? She is messed up...seriously needs a swift kick in the bum...

I am tired of the "My heart skipped a beat as I saw the boy with the dark hair" crap in the first twenty pages or so. I'm kinda tired of love triangles. Really people...come on!

And what's with all the talk about debauchery and what-not in this so-called club when there was NONE (which was good) so I didn't get the point of that! 

Oh and then the book just ends, no nothing just ends...yes I understand it's a series but it didn't even wrap up! It was like watching the "Lord of the Rings" series and it just abruptly ends! What's up with that?!
 
The story overall was slow moving and I kinda had to push myself through it but I was truly intrigued with the idea of taking this weird story and how this author would take it, so I pressed on. Wasn't that amazing...

Overall: Eh, not worth recommending but if you're into this sort of thing then go for it.

Sexual Content: mild
Drugs/Alcohol: moderate
Language: mild
Violent: moderate 











No comments:

Post a Comment