Monday, April 22, 2013

Book Review: Legacy By: Cayla Kluver

Book Description:
I noticed his eyes. They were blue, sharp and intense. Despite the youthful glows of his suntanned face, his eyes were cold and unfriendly, suggesting he had great experience in the world and was now expecting the worst.
In her seventeenth year, Princess Alera of Hytanica faces one duty: to marry the man who will be king. But her father's choice of suitor fills her with despair.
When the palace guard captures and intruder— a boy her age with steel-blue eyes, hailing from her kingdom's greatest enemy— Alera is alarmed… and intrigued. But she could not have guessed that their clandestine meetings would unveil the dark legacy shadowing both their lands.
In this mystical world of court conspiracies and blood magic, loyalties will be tested. Courage won't be enough. And as the battle begins for everything Alera holds dear, love may be the downfall of a kingdom.

My Thoughts:
Alright, so this author wrote this book when she was still in high school...impressive...
At first I was totally impressed because of how young she was and extremely descriptive the book is. But after a while I was like, ok seriously I get it already move on. It became a chore for me to get through the book because it was sooooo descriptive. I've read J.R.R. Tolkien and he is very descriptive too but it wasn't a chore for me to get through his writing as this was towards the end. I do want to know what  happens with Princess Alera but I'm not sure I care enough to read the 2nd book especially if it's going to be just as long and overly descriptive as this one was.
Overall it was a dragging plotline (was there a plot?), endless descriptions of what people are wearing (I about died after the fifth time -- I couldn't really care less how the bodice fits Alera!) and how their hair is done, cliche characters, and a silly teenage romance. Not to mention the adjectives, which sounded like they were randomly picked from a thesaurus with little or no thought!
Still it wasn't THAT bad...

Language: moderate
Drugs/Alcohol: mild
Sexual Content: mild
Violence: moderate

No comments:

Post a Comment