Sunday, April 21, 2013

Book Review: Dreamless By: Josephine Angelini


Book Description:
As the only scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless sycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on. 

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out-a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies' cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen's sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.
  
My Thoughts:
You just can't beat Greek mythology! You can't! there is too much, soooo much, you can twist and turn and play with and have fun and that is exactly what the author did.

Lets start with what I DIDN'T like about the book...
I didn't like HOW the author wrote the "forbidden love" aspect. I understand that we as the reader understand what's going on but what the characters don't know and play with is just gross. It kept giving me the hee-bee gee-bees!
I'm kinda tired of the built up sexual frustration YA books have. seriously?! not ALL teens or thinking about sex all the time! Stop putting so much INTO BOOKS! anyways...moving on...
 
What was ok:
I'm a little tired of love triangles but I do like forbidden love or people that don't/can't get together for a long part of the story. However this love triangle wasn't that bad, it wasn't so black and white as some others.

But I did love the book. I loved how the author painted each scenario and it was easy to imagine, I loved how she clashed both worlds together, I loved the complexity of each character as they replicate characters of the past and yet can stand on their own and evolve into their own personalities. I loved how human these characters were regardless of their capabilities or super human strengths.

I didn't feel like the author dragged the story on it flowed really nicely as she brought in each new character and continued to develop other characters.

For more insight check out my VLOG below!



Sexual Content: Moderate (PG-13 rating)
Violence: Moderate (PG to PG-13 rating)
Drugs/Alcohol: none
Language: Moderate (PG to PG-13) nothing too crazy 



No comments:

Post a Comment