Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Book Review: Shatter Me By: Tahereh Mafi

Book Description: 
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

My Thoughts:
I must say I'm surprised how many poor ratings this book got on goodreads! Because I really liked this book! It really held me captive the whole way through! I loved the characters the good and bad, the author's depiction of Juliette’s voice is utterly captivating, it was almost poetic, it was  colorful/expressive writing, realistic and dimensional characters, and an intense story!  HOWEVER, it wasn't until the end that I felt I was reading "X-Men" which completely disappointed me. But, then again I get why the author did what she did so it will be interesting to see how the rest of the series goes. But yeah for me the ending bummed me out because it felt like she couldn't come up with something original and just got done watching the X-Men movies. But, I totally enjoyed this book, which surprised me considering the cover for me isn't that amazing (sorry for those who are huge in cover rating).

Language:Mild
Sexual Content: Moderate
Violence:Heavy

Overall: I would recommend it! For those who like X-Men/dystopian books.



No comments:

Post a Comment