Wednesday, June 3, 2015

A Court of Thorns & Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Published: May 5, 2015
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Pages: 419

When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

Perfect for fans of Kristin Cashore and George R. R. Martin, this first book in a sexy and action-packed new series is impossible to put down!
My Thoughts:
This is not YA...is it? It can't be.... really? I think it has got to go under the NA (New Adult-ranges from ages 19+ or "college age") category now. Because I would NOT let a younger teenager read this.

Because WHOA....

Okay I bought this because it's a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, I mean who wouldn't! Sarah J. Maas is an EXCELLENT writer. And the retelling was amazing. I will honestly say I thought it resembled Juliet Marillier's version of Beauty and the Beast, at certain parts but IT'S NOT.

Feyre fights for the survival of her family; after being left destitute due to her father's bad business dealings and debts-Feyre hunts for food and sells what she can for whatever else they need to survive. The dynamics of the family was great and goes along with the oldest stories I've read of Beauty and the Beast. Feyre made a promise to her dying mother to take care of the family, which has kept Feyre going all these years. She is a surviver, she taught her self how to shoot, how to skin hides, and she does this solely for the purpose of her promise to her dying mother.

When Feyre kills a wolf, a HUGE beast/wolf/bear/creature comes for retribution for that kill. Feyre agrees to go with this creature and live in the dreaded faerie lands with no chance of every going home and seeing her family again.

I enjoyed the faerie aspect of this story as I feel it stays true to the original idea that faeries aren't to be trusted. I loved every aspect of the faerie world and all that came with it.

I enjoyed the mystery behind what's killing or taking over the faerie world and the concept behind and involving the faerie world and how it affects the human world. It was amazing and extremely well written.

The romance was awesome in the aspect of a GOOD MAN! I am tired of seeing these girls fall for the "bad guys" and somehow "change" these guys. It's unrealistic but you can have a brooding character who underneath is gentle, good, and kind and I loved that about Tamlin.

I loved Tamlin's character for all the reasons written above. Plus the fact that he was willing to do whatever it takes for the good of his estate and the people on there. He was good man. I liked him.

Overall the story was phenomenal and amazing. However the reason why I could not recommend this to younger audiences is the fact that there is a graphic sex scene. Now, it does NOT go on for pages on end or chapters but it's graphic enough that I would not recommend this to younger audiences. I am disappointed that if this book is considered YA that it would be so graphic.

Sexual Content: heavy (as mentioned above)
Violence: heavy
Language: mild
Drugs/Alcohol: mild/moderate (faerie parties and drinking)

*for those sensitive to that kind of content I would recommend you "OBTAIN" the book before buying it*




No comments:

Post a Comment