Sunday, January 4, 2015

This Shattered World (Starbound #2) by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

The second installment in the epic Starbound trilogy introduces a new pair of star-crossed lovers on two sides of a bloody war.

Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac should never have met.

Lee is captain of the forces sent to Avon to crush the terraformed planet's rebellious colonists, but she has her own reasons for hating the insurgents.

Rebellion is in Flynn's blood. Terraforming corporations make their fortune by recruiting colonists to make the inhospitable planets livable, with the promise of a better life for their children. But they never fulfilled their promise on Avon, and decades later, Flynn is leading the rebellion.

Desperate for any advantage in a bloody and unrelentingly war, Flynn does the only thing that makes sense when he and Lee cross paths: he returns to base with her as prisoner. But as his fellow rebels prepare to execute this tough-talking girl with nerves of steel, Flynn makes another choice that will change him forever. He and Lee escape the rebel base together, caught between two sides of a senseless war.


My Thoughts:
I was expecting the same type of amazing-ness as These Broken Stars. I really was. Which is never good for a book; I go in with the highest of expectations and am, of course, disappointed. Maybe These Broken Stars was so good because I had no expectation at all?

Our hero and heroine, Flynn and Jubilee, were fun, yes. We meet them when Flynn hits on Jubilee in a bar, then kidnaps her. Right of the bat there's action, intrigue, romance and the pace doesn't slow down until the end of the book. Constant movement and action. It was a bit exhausting. A good kind of exhausting, though. I could not stop reading. Jubilee and Flynn were perfect opposites of each other and, therefore, perfect for each other. Anyone could see that but throughout the whole book there's this continual back-and-forth "What am I feeling? Do I like you? Should I like you? I'm so torn and don't know what to do!" This came from both sides of the story and it got so old. So unnecessarily dramatic.

Another thing that bugged were all the references to people looking Chinese or holding onto their Irish heritage. This world is hundreds of years out from the end of Earth. I doubt anyone would look like a people that existed on Earth thousands of generations before or even know about the different groups of people that did exist on Earth; There would have been too much intermarriage and loss of heritage and whatever else happens when large groups of people leave one place and move on to another. It just wasn't believable.

I did like that Tarver and Lilac made an appearance here. They had a really cute scene and I'm glad it was in the book. I liked the way their relationship had progressed and how their characters had evolved.

Jubilee and Flynn, though? I just didn't love them. I understood their hesitance, their conflict, their devotion to their people, their determination to do what they thought was right. I got it. I just didn't love them. I don't know what it was, really.

One last thing and I'll leave this book alone: I thought the idea of a teenage rebel leader and a prodigy teenage military captain fighting the rebels was a bit cliche. It wasn't exactly the same as other stories, I'll give you that. But it was close enough to other stories I've read that it felt over-done.

This book just didn't do it for me. It was a could-not-put-down read. It was fast-paced and dramatic and intense. There was very little humor. The story felt played-out and I didn't love the characters or the way they were/acted. Some people will love this book. I'm just not one of those people.

Sexual Content: Moderate
Language: Moderate
Violence: Moderate
Drugs/Alcohol: Moderat

No comments:

Post a Comment