Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Snowed In by Rachel Hawthorne

THANK YOU FOR STAYING AT
Chateau Ashleigh

DID YOU ENJOY YOUR STAY?

Well, apparently I live here now--my mom just bought the place. And named it after me, Ashleigh, which was nice. But did she know how cold it is here??

WOULD YOU RECOMMEND US TO A FRIEND?

Um, it's a tiny island with not much to do, unless you really like sleigh rides. But I gotta say there are quite a few hot guys on this cold island . . .

My Thoughts:

I was looking for a fun wintry read so I picked this up. It was cute and it was clean. That's about all the all the positive I have to say about it.

Snowed In was strictly a romance. There was literally nothing else. Some people love that in a book. If you love sweet, clean, little fluffy, one-track romance novels, you might want to stop reading this review now. Because I don't and I'm about to bash it. I was the wrong audience for this book from the start. I probably should have researched better to find a book that was more my speed. I like to have something else going on, with a little bit of romance on the side. Kind of as a sweetener, you know? A story that has nothing going on at all besides the romance just doesn't keep my interest. Though I did read the whole book. Mostly because it was a short, easy read.

Ashleigh was ridiculous, to say the least. She moves from Texas to some freezing cold place near the Great Lakes (I don't exactly know where. I'm not sure if the book ever said) where snow blanketed the ground. There's a lot of over-explaining going on here so almost immediately we learn that Ash is not interested in having a boyfriend anywhere in the near future, but that she loves to date a whole bunch of guys for a little while then move on. But then she meets two boys as soon as she moves in. One of them, she's like, "Oh, he'll be fun, let's go on some dates." The other guy, she was like, "I don't know what is going on with me but I keep thinking about him even though I don't want a boyfriend and he already has a girlfriend. Why am I thinking like this?!?" And that's pretty much the whole book. The allusions were smack-me-in-the-face affairs, where I had the entire plot figured out in the first three chapters. It was kind of annoying. The thing is, I understood completely about her not wanting to date seriously and actually kind of applauded her attitude on dating in high school... until about three chapters in where she starts to get all weird about some guy she just met.

That's another thing about this book: This entire story takes place in about a week. So this girl shows up, meets everyone in town, goes on a few dates and more stuff happens that I don't want to spoil, all in about a week's time. This much happening in that short amount of time is ridiculous. It annoyed me that so much happened in such a short time frame. And the words "date" and "boyfriend" were used to exhaustion. If I never read them again I'd be ok with it.

The guys did not act like guys. I've noticed that it's a real problem in YA literature. Women! Actually observe the way boys and men interact! Your books will be better and the guys in them won't be such pansies! Like Josh. He has a girlfriend but he likes Ashleigh but he's afraid to dump his girlfriend because they've been together forever and what if Ashleigh will only go on a couple of dates with him when he wants/needs a steady girlfriend? And he explains all this to Ashleigh. In detail. And Ashleigh explains everything back to him. And it's so stupid I have a hard time finding more to say about it. And Chase! Chase explains everything to Ashleigh, too! He lets out his hard-kept secret to a girl he's known all of five minutes! Gah! I mean, just gag me.

So this book was dumb and poorly written. But it was cute and sweet. An easy, fluff read set in a wintry wonderland. If you're into clean, silly romances then you'll probably love it. If you're like me, run away. Fast

Sexual Content: Mild
Language: Mild
Violence: None
Drugs/Alcohol: None

No comments:

Post a Comment