Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy #3) by Sarah Rees Brennan

 Powerful love comes with a price. Who will be the sacrifice?

Kami has lost the boy she loves, is tied to a boy she does not, and faces an enemy more powerful than ever before. With Jared missing for months and presumed dead, Kami must rely on her new magical link with Ash for the strength to face the evil spreading through her town.

Rob Lynburn is now the master of Sorry-in-the-Vale, and he demands a death. Kami will use every tool at her disposal to stop him. Together with Rusty, Angela, and Holly, she uncovers a secret that might be the key to saving the town. But with knowledge comes responsibility—and a painful choice. A choice that will risk not only Kami’s life, but also the lives of those she loves most.


My Thoughts:
Aaahhhhh, the ending. The end of a good series is always bittersweet. I loved reading these books. This series was so addictive.

Having said that, though, I will now say that this was not my favorite book in the series. This book got a lot creepier and a lot darker and scarier and weirder and I don't know if I liked it going in that direction at all. Too many people died. So much death and creepy stuff.

Kami was still strong but not nearly as funny. Yes, there were cute little quirky Kami moments (her pet names for Jared were pretty hilarious) but there weren't enough of those moments. I craved the Kami-ness to break up the creepy stuff. The Rusty-ness helped because he's pretty entertaining himself, but Rusty's story did not go how I wanted it to.

There was a whole bunch of back and forth in this book. I like you, now I don't want to be with you; Get away from the sorcerer's house, sneak back in again; Unbeatable magical power, no power at all. And it all repeated about five different times. It was very circular. I did not like that so much. Where in the first book I felt like Brennan had very carefully planned out the whole story, the second and third books felt like they were hastily planned out to fill in two more books in order to create a series. The first was SO GOOD! The plot, the reveal, everything that happened lead to a conclusion that I did not guess at all! The second two books were completely obvious as to be perfectly predictable. I knew exactly what was going to happen. In some ways that was nice because I liked what happened (except for Rusty) but I like to be surprised. A good twist at the end of a book earns a whole extra star.

Why did no one just kill Rob when he started going crazy? I realize all the characters involved were all-around nice people who didn't want to off anyone, but human sacrifice and what-not? I mean, really?

Jared was infuriating most of the time and the only reason I could find that he acted so was because Brennan felt the story needed some added drama. Personally, I would have liked more kissing. Making out is much preferable to drama, in my humble opinion.

Angela was still quite entertaining and I loved the fact that Angela was not a stereotypical lesbian. That said, I knew where the Angela/Holly storyline would end up but I wonder if that's how some people arrive in gay relationships? (view spoiler)

So, in short, book one was amazing. Go read that. If you feel inclined to keep reading the entire series I'm fine with that, too. I love the characters and the general plot and all that went with it. This last book, though, got creepy and weird and a bit repetitive and there's no way at all I would recommend it to anyone unless they loved the characters from the beginning.

Sexual Content: Moderate
Language: Moderate
Violence: Heavy
Alcohol/Drugs: Mild

No comments:

Post a Comment