Saturday, June 14, 2014

Mini Review: The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Book Description:
"If you ain't scared, you ain't human." 

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.
My Thoughts:
LOST meets Hunger Games meets Lord of the Flies. Yes? 

In theory I should have loved this book, but I came away a little frustrated and annoyed. The worst thing, for me, was the slang the boys used. Drove me crazy through the entire book. And then the constant questions looming overhead - when am I going to get some answers? And knowing that the answers I did get weren't real... that irked me a bit. 

Also, it felt like it moved slow. It picks up a little after the girl wakes up, and then it starts moving fast for the last 20 pages or so. But up to those points it was kind of draggy in a not-very-obvious sort of way. 

So, liked it. Didn't love it. Don't want to own it, but will check out book #2 from the library.


No comments:

Post a Comment