Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Book Review: Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor

Book Description:
Zoe and her best friend, Olivia, have always had big plans for the future, none of which included Olivia getting sick. Still, Zoe is determined to put on a brave face and be positive for her friend.

Even when she isn't sure what to say.

Even when Olivia misses months of school.

Even when Zoe starts falling for Calvin, Olivia's crush.

The one thing that keeps Zoe moving forward is knowing that Olivia will beat this, and everything will go back to the way it was before. It has to. Because the alternative is too terrifying for her to even imagine.

In this incandescent page-turner, which follows in the tradition of The Fault in Our Stars, Melissa Kantor artfully explores the idea that the worst thing to happen to you might not be something that is actually happening to you. Raw, irreverent, and honest, Zoe's unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.

My Thoughts:
Let me just go ahead and say it... I. did. NOT. cry. there. I said it. Nope, I didn't. Am I heartless? no, just didn't make me cry. It was utterly and completely sweet, and beautiful and I loved the story.

I was immediately drawn in the story of these 2 amazing friends that have a bond closer than sisters. Their friendship is endearing, and heartwarming and I wish I had a friend like this growing up! I didn't meet my "kindred spirit" till I was older in my late teens then in my early 20s. (wow did I just age myself? weird.) Anyway. The author did an incredible job of connecting you with these 2 friends in ways you may least expect it. I was so drawn in about everything regarding their friendship.

When Olivia discovers she's sick everything goes bad...rapidly for her and her illness. It was fascinating how the author was able to put in so much rapid decay and hardship on a person's body and the spirit of one person going through treatments, with the knowledge that it may or may not work. The reality of what happens in such situations was really well done.

I LOVED the soft and sweet underlining of romance that happens throughout the book. The book was mainly about Olivia, Zoe and their friendship and it was sweet and beautiful. I loved that romance didn't solve the problem nor did it help. It was just...there and I liked it. A lot.

Overall if you are in for a heartwarming, sad, sweet, story this is it!

Sexual Content: moderate (a character goes after a guy and they start making out the intention of having sex-but don't actually do it)
Language: heavy (F words-understandable at times but unnecessary in others, more than I prefer)
Violence: mild
Drugs/Alcohol: moderate (am underage party where underage characters drink and some even get drunk)

No comments:

Post a Comment