Thursday, February 6, 2014

Book Review: Reboot by Amy Tintera

Book Description:
Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

The perfect soldier is done taking orders.

My Thoughts:
This book really let me down. I don't know why, but for some reason. I had really high hopes! I thought the idea of Reboots sounded like it could be really interesting! But alas... I was disappointed.
The whole tough-girl/clueless-guy pairings just isn't my thing. I mean, the actual idea of Reboots had some intriguing aspects. But it just fell flat. the characters and the storyline for me just fell flat.
When I first started reading I really enjoyed it. Aggh, it just had so much potential! and then...almost halfway through, it went way downhill. Nothing's worse than a story that had such a great set-up and then fails at following through. you know?

I was so intrigued and liked the idea of Reboots itself and how a Reboot is more powerful the longer it took them to come back to life, plus brutal training, getting  injured over and over so that they would lose all emotion and get used to their unnatural healing abilities. It's a very dark concept and I wanted to like it!

The romance was the biggest eye roller for me. It was ridiculous and cheesy (bad cheese) and annoying and I just wanted to shout, "STOP! MAKE IT STOP!" UGH! especially when talk of sex came up and because of the main characters scars-didn't want to show her body and was UBER self-conscious about it- this supposedly "nice guy" was totally rude about it! RUDE! whatever...

And what's with the subplot of the scientist experimenting on the Reboots and they then turn into these crazed cannibals and want to rip you to pieces? ummm are you serious?! I'm really?! Plus what's with the Reboots (once their dead) being more beautiful after their "rebooted?" it just didn't make sense! I was like, "are you serious? come...ON!" GAH!

Overall: It was OK and I really wanted to like Reboot––and I did, in the beginning. But it totally lost me too quickly with poor developed romance, that just killed it for me. So, I doubt I'll be picking up the sequel.

Violence: moderate (PG/PG-13 fight training, kids/reboots getting shot or killed, rabid cannibal Reboots attacks)
Language: moderate
Drugs/Alcohol: none
Sexual Content: moderate (PG some kissing and talk of sex)

No comments:

Post a Comment