Friday, May 17, 2013

Book Review: Darkness Falls By: Cate Tiernan

Book Description:
You can run from your past, but it will always catch up.

Nastasya has lived for hundreds of years, but for some reason it never seems to get any easier. She’s left behind her days of debauchery to find peace and forgiveness at River’s Edge, a safe haven for wayward immortals. There she’s uncovered her family’s epic history, reclaimed her magickal powers, and met Reyn, whom she dubs “the Viking god.” Just as she settles into her new life, Nastasya learns that her old friends might be in town....

Reuniting with her gorgeous and dangerous ex-best-friend, Innocencio, Nas wonders if she’ll ever be truly free of her dark legacy. Is Incy dangerous, power-hungry, and wicked? Or is he the only one who truly understands Nas’s darkness? Either way, Nas is desperate to find out who she really is-even if the answer kills her.

My Thoughts:
Oh Geez, what a disappointment! The first book was better. Immortal Beloved, but this? overall was lame.

The romance was SOOOOOO awkward. Reyn this "viking Lord/God" is sooooo romantically awkward. The book literally starts with Reyn clenching and unclenching his fists while saying, "I want you." Nastasya who can't decide if she wants to punch him or rip his clothes off goes through the whole book going back and forth in her head about him. All the while Reyn just barely says more than 5 word sentences like " I want you" and "I know you want me too" I mean...COME...ON... REALLY?!

Nastasya is whines a lot in this book and all I'm thinking is, "hey! it could be worse! you could be DEAD!" and she just mopes and the story with her just...DRAGGED... I missed the humor that was more apparent in the first book.

I did like the magic and Nastasya trying to avoid being "dark" when it seems all she can produce is "dark magic", ok I liked that, but it didn't go anywhere really with the story!

FINALLY in the last 100 pages or so there is some action with Incy, after Nasty (I know seriously her nickname...ummm weird) goes back to her old life. YEA!

Recommend? Not really, no which is too bad cause there was/is so much potential!

Sexual Content: Moderate (PG-PG-13)
Language: uh I really can't remember I think mild or moderate
Violence: moderate (PG-13)
Drugs/Alcohol: moderate (PG)

Here is my YouTube take on the book:

No comments:

Post a Comment