Thursday, April 11, 2013

Book Review: Along for the Ride By: Sarah Dessen

Book Description:
It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.

A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.

In her signature pitch-perfect style, Sarah Dessen explores the hearts of two lonely people learning to connect.

My Thoughts:
Picked this up because I liked the last 2 that I read of hers and I would like to continue for a bit, of no paranormal. It's a nice break.

However I wasn't as impressed with this one as I was with the last 2 that I read. Maybe it was my mood or maybe it just wasn't that great as the last 2.

Still A TON of drinking (which I still don't understand) bummer...

Still... I felt that the main character Auden really needed to get up yell and stand up to her dad & mom a whole heck of a lot sooner, okay, that was the idea.point of the novel I guess- her SUPER SLOW transformation and coming out of shell thing, but I kept hating the parents through the whole thing then in the end it's like, HEY they aren't SOOOO bad just super self-absorbed and always will be because people don't change, or they do, or whatever!

However I did like Heidi the step-mom and I loved she (the author) showed the "new mother/crying all the time baby/doesn't know what to do" thing because I'm sure at some point or another just about all Mom's felt that way. 


I did like the girls that Auden meets and eventually becomes friends with, I loved the individuality of each of them and

Overall: Good but not amazing.

Drugs/Alcohol: heavy
Sexual Content: mild
Violence: mild
Language: mild (I think, can't remember)

No comments:

Post a Comment