Thursday, April 30, 2015

Legacy by Ellery A. Kane

How do you want to feel today?

In 2041, the choice is yours.

San Francisco is deserted, the Bay Bridge bombed, and the BART subway trains grounded. The Guardians, members of an elite and mysterious government-appointed military police force, are maintaining order at all costs—thanks to emotion-altering drugs like Emovere that suppress fear and anxiety. Lex Knightley, daughter of a prominent forensic psychiatrist, risks entering the devastated city to partner with the Resistance, a group of rebels intent upon exposing the dangers of Emovere. Lex discovers an ally in Quin McAllister, a magnetic Guardian Force recruit with a haunting past that binds them together. As she uncovers the secrets of the Guardian Force and confronts the truth about her family, Lex begins to realize that even those closest to her are not quite who they seem
.
On goodreads.com, this book has a 3.8 rating, based on the 78 ratings it has received.
My Thoughts:
I'm a book judger.  I always have been and I can't help it.  Don't hurt me.

When Ms. Kane emailed me asking me to do a review, I went to goodreads to check out the rating/plot.  It definitely seemed like something I would enjoy, but that cover had me judging.  I guess I have a "thing" for ornate covers.  I'm also pretty critical of YA dystopian fiction - I guess because there is just SO much of it and a lot that I have read hasn't been that great.  That said, Legacy had me hooked right off the bat.  I think I read it in about 30 hours or so and I've only done that with one other book.

The plot was fantastic, in my opinion.  The setting was interesting and described very thoroughly.  The characters were developed very well (even if there was a token YA guy) and I felt like I connected with Lex - she's awesome. 

I wasn't as into Quin as Lex was, but hey! that's why I'm not in the book, right?!  They did have a unique romance, though.  He has a tragic back-story and he is connected to Lex and her mother in a rather unfortunate way.  I would have liked to have known more about him. 

Lex teams up with Quin and his friends Max and Elena (may have spelled that wrong, sorry) to find a way to deactivate, so to speak, the super soldiers.  

This may be a little harder to get your hands on if you don't order online.  Out of curiosity, I checked with three local independent bookstores and NONE of them had it or had even heard of it. 

Another great thing about this book is that it was pretty clean!  I'm not a prude (I don't think), but it's nice when you find a great book that is appropriate for younger kids, too.
Ms. Kane, if you're reading this: Thank you for sending me your awesome book, I loved it.  I can't wait to see what else you have in store for this group!

Sexual Content: mild
Violence: moderate
Language: mild (I don't remember any, but I could be wrong)
Drugs/Alcohol: It's a book about people taking mind altering drugs...



No comments:

Post a Comment