Sunday, March 1, 2015

Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John

The Challenge: Piper has one month to get the rock band Dumb a paying gig.

The Deal: If she does it, Piper will become the band's manager and get her share of the profits.

The Catch: How can Piper possibly manage one egomaniacal pretty boy, one talentless piece of eye candy, one crush, one silent rocker, and one angry girl? And how can she do it when she's deaf?


My Thoughts:
This was book was kind of exactly what I needed right now: Something light and cute but full of depth and heart.

First of all, this was all about music which is my first love. So I was automatically drawn to it. And it's about a high school rock band, which is just fun. And then there's a deaf girl managing the rock band, which is interesting.

The plot evolved in a way that I thought pretty believable. People had normal reactions to events, the way the band evolved was realistic, even if was a bit too fast. The way the characters spoke and how much they said felt real, too, except for a few conversations that felt novel-forced; You know, the character says too much and explains their feelings more than a regular person would.

I liked how much I learned about deaf culture. Piper was a fun character and I totally related to her. She was kind but tough and felt alienated but accepted at the same time. Totally relatable. And likable. And her deafness added an element that was interesting and enlightening. The way she handled people coddling her or treating her differently was nice to watch. I was proud of her after each interaction where she held her own.

The other characters were pretty entertaining, too. My favorite was Baz, the former rock star turned middle-aged ex-con living in the past. Funny and real. The teenagers were fun and definitely believable and I loved that the love interest was so... normal. He wasn't some flashy rock star wannabe. Love that.

Anyway, this was a cute read. I'd absolutely recommend this to anyone who likes music or just wants something cute and fun and relatively clean to read.

Sexual Content: Mild
Language: Moderate (If not for the cursing, I would rate this book G. With cursing, it was PG-13)
Violence: Mild
Drugs/Alcohol: Mild, if any

No comments:

Post a Comment