Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall

Publication: January 13, 2015
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Pages: 336

A fast-paced international escapade, laced with adrenaline, glamour, and romance--perfect for fans of Ally Carter

Avery West's newfound family can shut down Prada when they want to shop in peace, and can just as easily order a bombing when they want to start a war. Part of a powerful and dangerous secret society called the Circle, they believe Avery is the key to an ancient prophecy. Some want to use her as a pawn. Some want her dead.

To unravel the mystery putting her life in danger, Avery must follow a trail of clues from the monuments of Paris to the back alleys of Istanbul with two boys who work for the Circle—beautiful, volatile Stellan and mysterious, magnetic Jack. But as the clues expose a stunning conspiracy that might plunge the world into World War 3, she discovers that both boys are hiding secrets of their own. Now she will have to choose not only between freedom and family--but between the boy who might help her save the world, and the one she's falling in love with.
My Thoughts
I had some high hopes for this book! The cover is amazing, the book sounded amazing! And I honestly can say there isn't really anything WRONG with the book, it just....didn't do it for me like I'd hoped. 

It started off really cool, and I really enjoyed that there were these families who really are in control of the world, and how this girl, Avery was hidden away all that and then all of a sudden her life is just thrown for a wild ride as she learns that she has family, she has power, she has money and everything someone could ever ask for. Anything she wants, all she has to do is snap her fingers and it's hers. I loved the gowns, the shopping, the sights, the historical aspects weaved into the story, I love the masquerade ball, I loved the chase and the action, plus the mystery.  


Avery is very likable but there were times I was like, "come on! you aren't a baby! DO SOMETHING!" I dunno, I liked her but there were times I just rolled my eyes. She's naive, gullible, nice, sweet, and normal-almost. 

There there are the two ridiculously hot guys vying for her attention. Hot guy #1 who is sweet, kind, fiercely loyal and takes his job seriously. I like Bishop but then he made me roll my eyes because of course he makes decisions based off of his feelings even though after YEARS of loyal to his family he is able to just chuck that out the window for his feelings. gah! where is the tension and hardship there?! boo. I really liked Bishop at first there was so much mystery behind him and loved that he was "all-about-the-job" and then his feelings got in the way and I didn't like him that much anymore. He became a bit boring to me. 

Then there is hot guy #2 who is the "opposite" of Bishop-rebel, mysterious, brooding, "bad-boy" Stellan-who I was interested in way more almost immediately after I was introduced to his character. I was more interested in him because he has more mystery, and he broods. I like a guy who is charismatic and yet with his feelings he broods. I liked that he tried but Avery was so Avery that he was tied. I loved his and look forward to more of him.

Overall the idea of the story was great but there was-about half way through-a lot of eye rolling for me.

Sexual Content: moderate (PG-kissing)
Language: moderate
Violence:  moderate (some fighting, killing, bloody scenes)
Drugs/Alcohol: moderate (PG)


1 comment:

  1. This is one that I'm hoping I'll like, but after reading your review... I'll have to see. I can get annoyed with characters and I believe in things not being too easy.

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete