Thursday, December 11, 2014

The D.U.F.F. The Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face. 

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him. 
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

My Thoughts:
I started reading this book all because of the trailer for the movie, it seemed cute and I wanted to read the story. I read it in one sitting, it's a quick read.
So I borrowed the book and read it! Needless to say it's probably going to be nothing like the book but more like the 90's movie She's All That  because this book, was although cute, NOT something I would recommend to young adults.

The main character Bianca was, insecure, self absorbed, hypocritical, judgmental, and a bit bitter. Granted I would be upset if I found out I was the DUFF in my group of girlfriends but to do what she did? really?

The book is LOADED with sex because Bianca's way of shutting out the world, truth, and her troubles is to have sex with a HOT guy, who has issues of his own, that she absolutely hates because he is everything she hates in a guy and guess what? maybe she didn't realize it but she was just as bad but he was a little less hypocritical about it. GAH! Now, granted everybody has insecurities and I don't mind that but it's hard to read it in a character and she what she does with it! 

How does she even have friends? Am I being a little too hard on her? especially since she is just a fictional character? I think not, especially when it comes to the fact that she find solace in sex. What is that tell young people? Just have sex when you're upset with the hottest guy who'll have you and maybe it will work out?

Well hate to spoil it for you but that is what this book is basically all about. Two people who don't like each other have sex ALL the time and eventually call for each other. really? dumb...

Maybe I didn't understand what the author was saying? because I think I did. Even though the whole thing is about loving yourself and accepting you for who you are that doesn't justify the content and how the author chose to take this. A bit disappointed here....

Overall it could've been super cute and sweet, instead it's not worth your time to read. However I still want to see the movie!

Sexual Content: heavy (LOTS of sex-not too graphic and talk of sex)
Language: heavy (plenty of all around curse words)
Violence: mild (someone getting slapped)
Drugs/Alcohol: moderate (underage drinking)


No comments:

Post a Comment