Sunday, November 30, 2014

Fallen by Lauren Kate

What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?

17-year-old Lucinda falls in love with a gorgeous, intelligent boy, Daniel, at her new school, the grim, foreboding Sword & Cross . . . only to find out that Daniel is a fallen angel, and that they have spent lifetimes finding and losing one another as good & evil forces plot to keep them apart. 

Get ready to fall . . .

My Thoughts:

Meh. This was a decent snowy day read, the kind where I sat around in PJs all day and kind of let my kids fend for themselves. I did read it all, and I wanted to keep reading because the story was interesting enough and I wanted to know what would happen but there were things.

1. In the prologue (and in the book blurb above that I got off of goodreads), before the book even begins, mind you, we learn that Luce is reincarnated over and over, only to die when she meets her true love at the age of 17. So once the book begins I'm expecting something more to happen, right? Some other major plot point, a huge reveal that I wasn't expecting. But... nothing. The huge reveal was what we learned in the prologue. And it comes almost 400 pages later. I mean, we were basically told what was going to happen and then were expected to act surprised when that exact thing happened. Does Kate think we're all idiots? Why even have a prologue?

2. She finds her true love at the age of 17. In every life. 'Nuff said.

3. When Luce finds her "true love", before she knows who it is, he flips her off, accuses her of stalking him (which she actually begins to do), tells her flat-out to go away, physically pushes her away and does all manner of things to get her to stay away from him. But she doesn't. She keeps going back because she feels a connection to him. If this book doesn't encourage stalkerish behavior, I don't know what would. What a stalker would call persistence, a normal person would call, well, a stalker. It's dumb. Luce is really, really dumb.

4. Their "true love" feels extremely immature. If in every life Luce dies once she falls in love with this guy, and this guy doesn't want her to die, wouldn't he just stay away from her? I mean, far away, like move to another country or something. He remembers everything. Wouldn't he have an intricate knowledge of how to create a new identity or pick up and leave with no issues? He must be really dumb, too, because after millennia on the earth he still hasn't figured out to reinvent himself or stay out of trouble enough to not end up in reform school.

5. I don't understand all the angels-in-hiding. Why did they keep everything a secret from Luce? (In fact, why did her "true love" keep everything hidden from Luce? Wouldn't having her in-the-know make things a lot easier to explain?) Why were they there? I don't understand why a bunch of angels would congregate in a locked-down reform school when they could pretty much go wherever they wanted.

6. The shadows aren't really explained. We get a vague explanation but I still don't know what they are. That was the only major mystery in the book and we don't get a reveal for it. Lame.

7. And the ending? What?!? I guess I'm not supposed to get it until the next book, right? It's a cliffhanger. Man, I hate those. And I really don't know if I'll read the next book.

Sexual Content: Moderate (kissing and some sensual thoughts)
Language: Moderate
Violence: Moderate
Drugs/Alcohol: Moderate

No comments:

Post a Comment