Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Reckoning (Darkest Powers #3) by Kelley Armstrong

Chloe Saunders is fifteen and would love to be normal. Unfortunately, Chloe happens to be a genetically engineered necromancer who can raise the dead without even trying. She and her equally gifted (or should that be 'cursed'?) friends are now running for their lives from the evil corporation that created them.

As if that's not enough, Chloe is struggling with her feelings for Simon, a sweet-tempered sorcerer, and his brother Derek, a not so sweet-tempered werewolf. And she has a horrible feeling she's leaning towards the werewolf...

Definitely not normal.


My Thoughts:
I've sat down to write this review three or four times but nothing's coming out. I generally liked it. It was a quick, entertaining, fluff read. Finally some sweet little romancey things happened in the series. I don't know. It wasn't great. It wasn't terrible.

I did like Chloe's growth; She found herself a bit and that was nice. Simon was still boringly flat but likable. Tori was actually really entertaining and I liked her more and more throughout the last book. Derek was the most rounded-out character, of course. One thing that did bug me was how poorly Derek treated everyone but they all just brushed it off as, "He's only mean sometimes because he's protecting us." Mean is mean, people. That's almost the equivalent of saying, "He only hits me sometimes when he's mad." Either way it's not a good thing and you shouldn't be around it. That's all.

Things ended just a bit conveniently for me. But, then, it wasn't even really an ending because I felt like there was no real finality. This was supposed to be the last book in the Darkest Powers series, right? But there's a sequel series to this series so it's not really the end. Which kind of annoys me but, of course, I'm gonna read it. 

This whole series felt like it kept circling; The same things kept happening over and over. How many times was Chloe taken by bad people and kept somewhere? I think that might actually sum-up the whole series: Chloe keeps being taken by bad people (posing as good people) and kept against her will.

So, yup. That's all I have to say about it.

Sexual Content: Mild
Language: Moderate (there were actual curse words in this book which was disappointing after praising Armstrong so highly for her non-use of foul language)
Violence: Moderate
Drugs/Alcohol: Mild


No comments:

Post a Comment