Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Undone (Unraveling 1.5) by Elizabeth Norris

Before the accident. Before their universes collided. Before they fell in love.

Riveting and romantic, Undone: An Unraveling Novella contains three short stories set in the world of Unraveling, the first book in the gripping sci-fi duology by Elizabeth Norris.

Before Ben Michaels saved Janelle Tenner’s life, Janelle saved Ben when he stumbled through an interuniverse portal into a completely new world. That day, he fell in love with the girl of his dreams. And he never forgot her.

Through three stories told from Ben’s point of view, learn how Ben and his friends discovered their ability to travel between worlds, how Ben first met Janelle, and how he pined for her for years before he actually got the chance to meet her, save her life, and capture her heart. And find out what happens to Ben between the cliff-hanger conclusion to Unraveling and the beginning of its heart-stopping sequel, Unbreakable.


My thoughts:
When I read Unraveling I really liked Ben. I thought I understood him and his friends and I liked him. In reading this novella, though, and getting a lot more backstory... I'm gonna be honest: I thought Ben got super creepy. He basically admits to stalking Janelle and obsessing over her and things she does. It got weird.

I did enjoy learning about what happened to the families of Ben and his two friends. Well, maybe not enjoy, exactly, but I like to know how things turn out and I was satisfied to learn about what happened. For being a completely alternate universe, though, not all that much seemed different. You'd think there'd be some major changes. Or at least something minor that would be interesting to read. There wasn't much.

Ben's voice didn't really do it for me, either. While I loved Janelle's no-crap attitude, Ben almost seemed to accept whatever was given him without any fight. He just seemed like such a wuss. And he dwelled quite a bit on Janelle and on how in love he was and just moped around a lot. I was expecting another badass character but Ben was just so pathetic. 

So I appreciate the novella for the backstory and explanations, I do. But I hope that Ben wins me back over in Unbreakable because right now he's creeping me out.

Sexual Content: None
Language: Heavy
Violence: Heavy
Drugs/Alcohol: Moderate

No comments:

Post a Comment