Saturday, September 13, 2014

6 Well-Adapted Books-to-Movies

Sometimes I like to read a few books then reward myself with a nice film adaptation of one of those books. Sometimes the movies are a total letdown. Here's a list of books I liked enough to want to watch a movie adaptation of--and the movies were good! Not only good, but the movie matched the book! Book or movie; View either and you'll have a good experience.

Holes by Louis Sachar
This is my go-to favorite book-to-movie adaptation. Why? Because the movie is exactly like the book. I mean, exactly. It's like someone took the book and went through it line by line to write the screenplay. And it's good! This story is so cute and funny and sincere. It's just a good story. Well done in both book and movie format. And even though it is a children's book (and movie) I never felt like it was condescending in any way. Just so cute.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Pain demands to be felt. And feel it we do in both the book and the movie, which mirror each other nearly perfectly. Some of the dialogue in the movie was actually taken directly from the book. That's a good thing. There's a reason people loved the book so much! Thank you movie-making people for keeping it so in tune with the book! But weird casting choices with Shailene Woodley's love interest being the guy who played her brother in Divergent. That's all.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
This story is so touching. And it's no wonder at all that the book is exactly like the movie (as much as a book to movie can be, anyway) since Chbosky not only wrote the book and the screenplay but also directed the movie. I just love people with vision. And Logan Lerman in the starring role doesn't hurt, either. Kind of a tragic yet hopeful story, if that makes any sense at all. My only beef was Hermione--I mean, Emma Watson. Her acting felt a bit awkward. Other than that, perfect.

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Another Shailene Woodley film. A good Shailene Woodley film. While the book is pretty detailed, the movie adaptation did a decent job of hinting at all the underlying layers that they couldn't get to on-screen. There's a lot going on. A few things were changed but enough of the storyline and plot remained from the book that I didn't get annoyed by the changes. If you're going to choose one over the other go for the book. But both are good.
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
If there had been the technology and special effects to create this world in movie form back in the 90s I'm sure it would have been done. But there wasn't. So about 20 years later we were treated to a digital world worthy of this book. A few things were changed since technology has come a long way since Ender's Game was written and things that were completely futuristic fantasy back then now exist. But the story remained mainly untouched. And, seriously, amazing scenery going on here! If nothing else, see the movie for the visual effects; Stunning.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
I laughed through the book. I laughed through the movie. I honestly read this and watched this about a decade ago and don't really remember what discrepancies there were between book and movie. But I remember the feel of them both. And they felt the same. If you like British dry humor, you'll love this. If you like stories that almost make no sense but kind of do, you'll like this. Book or movie; Both are highly entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh, some great choices here! I haven't read/watched Ender's Game or Holes, though I do plan on doing so in the near future. Both look really great, and I'd love to give the books a chance, at the very least. Divergent and The Fault In Our Stars were absolutely incredible! I think Shailene Woodley played her characters very, very well in both films. The funny thing is that I liked the film adaptation of Perks much better than the book. I just felt like I could really connect with the characters a lot better.

    ReplyDelete