Sunday, August 3, 2014

Review: The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Book Description:

My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.

All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost - and the ghost saw me.

Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? it's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House...before its skeletons come back to haunt me.


My Thoughts:
This was fun. It had all the typical supernatural-y stuff in it--Socerers, ghosts, necromancers, werewolves, evil people, betrayal, sexual tension--so it wasn't original in that aspect. The crazy-house for teens was more original. I liked that.

The book started out super creepy. In a good way. I mean, I had goosebumps. Once Chloe found out who she was, though, it got a lot less creepy and more drama-ish. There was a lot of teen drama going on, which is not exactly my thing.

Chloe acted like a typical 15-year-old girl. A really level-headed, mature teenage girl. The way she reacted to things generally made sense and most of the time I agreed with her. Until the very end. Idiotic. In fact, the end didn't make that much sense at all. (If you want to read my spoiler, go here.)

Most of the Lyle House stuff didn't make sense after you found out who everyone was.
The dark, brooding guy's personality and growth was really believable. He was the most multidimensional, fleshed-out character in the book. Simon was flat. He got really boring. Same with Rae. I didn't get Liz. The legit crazy girl was fun to read. I believed her. Mostly.

So this was fun. Not very original, with some pretty big plot holes and only a couple of well-thought out characters. I probably will read the rest of the series even though I give this book a solid "eh".

Sexual Content: Mild
Language: None (this author was really great about that!)
Violence: Moderate (not so much fighting as creepy/scary imagery)
Drugs/Alcohol: None

No comments:

Post a Comment