Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Series Review: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier ~ TIME TRAVELING AT IT FINEST ~

Series Description:
Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8835379-ruby-red?ac=1
My Thoughts:
This was SO FUN! HIGHLY recommend! I just wish I spoke/read German so I could read this in it's true original form! Now I understand what people who don't read English get when they are reading novels in their language after being translated!

Now the translation is not an issue but I just wonder if I'm missing anything. Being able to speak/read in 2 languages myself I understand that things are understood differently and said differently which portrays things differently in either language. Well hats off to you Kerstin Gier for writing a wonderful trilogy! 

Gwyneth our female hero was raised thinking she didn't have the "time traveling gene" so her whole life was practically normal. Her family isn't normal so she will never have a normal life. She lives with her mother, aunt and her daughter, grandmother, great aunt, brother & sister, and the butler/friend/servant/helper (whatever you want to give him). It's a crazy house. Cousin is believed to have the gene and was raised to time travel so she spent her whole life learning languages, fencing, dancing, how to speak in each era, etc. And then come to find out it's Gwyneth that has the gene. So Gwyneth is thrown into this very secret group of individuals who depend on the 2 people that can time travel to help them close an ancient prophecy.

Gwyneth is a super fun character, I simple enjoy her I love that she is so human and makes mistakes yet has a backbone and doesn't listen to anybody but tries to do what she feels is right. I love that she doesn't follow blindly and that she is adventurous, I love that she doesn't WANT the gene and therefore is fun to read in regards to her mishaps and what-not. 

Gideon is the other time traveler who was raised knowing he had the gene and therefore studied for his part in the prophecy and is trying to uphold his name with honor and help close the the prophecy that for so long has been waiting. He is a butt which I love and I like how he is hot and cold with Gwyneth. He overall wasn't a bad character although I did want to smack him upside the head a few times!

The romance was eye rolling and so that put a downer on the book. If I had to hear one more time how gorgeous Gideon's face was and how weak in the knees Gwyneth got because of his good looks I was going to break somebody's kneecaps! I love the back and forth of uncertainty in the romance department but overall I was a bit disappointed in it I wish I could eye roll less with this part of the book.

The overall adventure was completely fun and well written, the depth of the whole back story of it all was great, the intertwining of times, and characters was new and unique.

I would highly recommend this trilogy because it was clean, super adventurous, I loved it!

Ruby Red: 5/5 acorns
Sapphire Blue: 4/5 acorns
Emerald Green: 5/5 acorns
 Overall Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment