Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Book Review: Prep School Confidential by Kara Taylor

Book Description:

Anne Dowling practically runs her exclusive academy on New York’s Upper East Side—that is, until she accidentally burns part of it down and gets sent to a prestigious boarding school outside of Boston. Determined to make it back to New York, Anne couldn't care less about making friends at the preppy Wheatley School. That is, until her roommate Isabella’s body is found in the woods behind the school.

When everyone else is oddly silent, Anne becomes determined to uncover the truth no matter how many rules she has to break to do it. With the help of Isabella’s twin brother Anthony, and a cute classmate named Brent, Anne discovers that Isabella wasn’t quite the innocent nerdy girl she pretended to be. But someone will do anything to stop Anne’s snooping in this fast-paced, unputdownable read—even if it means framing her for Isabella’s murder.


My Thoughts:
I gotta admit that I rolled my eyes when a friend suggested I read this. The rich-kid, Gossip-Girl-type of fiction doesn't exactly appeal to me all that much.

So this wasn't at all what I was expecting. Because I loved it. And I loved that it took me by surprise. I love when I expect one thing but get handed back something completely different and way better than what I thought it'd be. But, not so much when I get something completely different but way suckier; That's not so great. This was the former.

So, first of all, Anne is one of the best YA protagonists I've read. She's smart, she's bold, she's the complete opposite of whiny and I would totally be friends with her. In fact, minus the whole super-rich-girl-from-New-York thing, I could have been her. Except that I guessed the murderer way before she did. Oh, yeah, it's a murder mystery. Which I totally love to read. 

Everything that happened felt like something that could actually happen. In the most real sort of way. All the rich people buying off other people, corrupt political stuff and the division of the poor and the rich was so completely believable. There were a few things that I thought were just a bit over-the-top but nothing was so outrageous as to turn me off to the book.

And then the guys. It is a YA book, after all ;) So Anne has a love triangle sort of thing going on. Both of the guys involved are fine and all and fun to read about. But, honestly, I was rooting for Cole, who wasn't even in on the love triangle. He just seemed like the most overlooked nice guy (who also happened to be cute) in the book. I wanted something nice to happen for him. Oh, well.

Fun read. I'll definitely read the next one!

Sexual Content: Moderate
Language: Moderate
Violence: Moderate
Drugs/Alcohol: Moderate (this book was a solid PG-13 in my mind)

No comments:

Post a Comment