Thursday, June 5, 2014

Book Review: Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke (Inkworld #3)

Book Description:
CAUGHT BETWEEN THE COVERS OF A CURSED STORY...

Ever since the extraordinary events of Inkspell, when the enchanted bookInkheart drew Meggie and her father, Mo, into its chapters, life in the Inkworld has been more tragic than magical.

The fire-eater Dustfinger is dead, having sacrificed his life for his apprentice Farid's, and now, under the rule of the evil Adderhead, the fairy-tale land is in bloody chaos, its characters far beyond the control of Fenoglio, their author. Even Elinor, left behind in the real world, believes her family to be lost - lost between the covers of a book.

Facing the threat of eternal winter, Mo inks a dangerous deal with Death itself. There yet remains a faint hope of changing the cursed story - if only he can fill its pages fast enough.

Inkdeath - the captivating final tale in the Inkheart trilogy.
My Thoughts:
I love it when people write reviews that are EX.AC.TLY. on par with how I felt about a book. This one in particular gets it spot on. 

I was really disappointed by Inkdeath. Not gonna lie. I finished it several days ago and have sat around trying to think of positive things to say about it but I got nothin'. This is by far the weakest book in the trilogy and should have been much shorter and much less lame. Dangit. 

This book is not quite a total departure from Inkheart and Inkspell but it's pretty close. None of the characters feel fleshed out in Inkdeath. Farid in particular - he never gets over his weird obsession with Dustfinger. Now, having weird obsessions with father figures of my own, I feel pretty confident in saying that Farid needs to seek some serious mental help. That whole part of the story just didn't ring true to me, honestly. I get being concerned for Dustfinger, but not obsessed to the point of stalkerishness with him. Creepy. 

Meggie finds a new, completely random and weird, love interest. It actually ties into the story decently with Fenoglio remembering that he'd written a short story about that particular character but it was never published. But it's still random and weird. And the love interest character never feels like a part of the integral cast.

Mo's character was probably the least disappointing here. He went through a pretty awesomely harrowing torture sequence with Orpheus near the end. But even then, the ending felt odd and kind of disjointed. And totally not what I expected. 

So, I'm glad I read Inkdeath because yay closure! But at the same time, I think I would have preferred a different ending like the one that was good in my head. I also would have liked to know the baby's name, just because I'm curious like that. 
2/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment