Thursday, June 19, 2014

Book Review: I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder

Book Description: 

Girl meets boy.
Girl loses boy.
Girl gets boy back...

..sort of.


Ava can't see him or touch him,
unless she's dreaming.
She can't hear his voice,
except for the faint whispers in her mind.
Most would think she's crazy, but she knows he's here.

Jackson.
The boy Ava thought she'd spend the rest of her life with.
He's back from the dead,
as proof that love truly knows no bounds.


My Thoughts:
This was the first book I've read that's written in verse. I don't get it. It felt like a novel with different spacing; Which means that the author can write an incredibly short piece, space it out over 226 pages and call it a "novel in verse". If the pages had been formatted as a regular novel it would have taken up 1/3 of the space. It literally took me 2 hours to read. 

The idea itself was interesting. I would have liked it more had there been any kind of detail. Apparently writing in verse rules out most possibilities for description. And I didn't like the dead boyfriend very much. The things he did in the book reminded me of over-possessive high school boys who try to control their girlfriends. But the protagonist was always like, "we were so in love" and "I can't function without him" while ghost-him is being overreaction-y and possessive. Weird. 

But I thought the idea had great potential. I could totally see this as a movie. But done better. Because the book needs help.

No comments:

Post a Comment