Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Book Review: Hexed by Michelle Krys

COMING SOON: JUNE 10, 2014
Book Description:
If high school is all about social status, Indigo Blackwood has it made. Sure, her quirky mom owns an occult shop, and a nerd just won’t stop trying to be her friend, but Indie is a popular cheerleader with a football-star boyfriend and a social circle powerful enough to ruin everyone at school. Who wouldn’t want to be her?

Then a guy dies right before her eyes. And the dusty old family Bible her mom is freakishly possessive of is stolen. But it’s when a frustratingly sexy stranger named Bishop enters Indie’s world that she learns her destiny involves a lot more than pom-poms and parties. If she doesn’t get the Bible back, every witch on the planet will die. And that’s seriously bad news for Indie, because according to Bishop, she’s a witch too.

Suddenly forced into a centuries-old war between witches and sorcerers, Indie’s about to uncover the many dark truths about her life—and a future unlike any she ever imagined on top of the cheer pyramid.
My Thoughts
There were many things going for this book, but it just kinda fell flat and the picked back up again. It's a fun story for those who like witch stories.

There were so many things going for this book but sadly it's not for me. :/ The world building was weak and I felt there were a lot of holes. But that's just me, it's obvious that this book is getting a lot of great reviews but honestly I had a hard time finishing it. It caught my attention and then just fell flat and I couldn't pick it back up but had to drag myself through the rest of the book. 

In the story we follow a rather popular girl named Indigo whose life is turned upside down after some rather strange occurrences happen and the entrance of a rather unusual guy named Bishop.

Indigo or Indie then finds out she is a witch, and a rather important "bible" was stolen from her mom whom she thought was rather crazy sometimes in her belief of magical things.  I struggled with Indie because I thought she was snobby, rude, selfish, and just plain annoying, plus her "best friend" is the worst friend possible and I don't understand why she would be friends with her in the first place which, to me, shows that Indie is a weak character so I didn't like her. Plus, Indie cried...a lot. I understand but seriously...

I really liked Bishop as a character and the conversations between him and the main character Indie. Bishop is snarky and very sarcastic which brought humor to the story and lightened the mood. He had to be my favorite character.  

Then there was this random character, Paiga, who I rather liked but didn't understand why she's friends with Indigo, because Indigo is awful to her, then all of a sudden Indie has some epiphany and is like, "oh hey, I'm an idiot and am so remorseful at how I treated you all these years but can I still use you and realize somewhere down there road that I'm still stupid?" yeah didn't like Indie at all. 

Overall: It had potential but didn't "do it" for me. 

Sexual Content: moderate (kissing, 2 characters caught having sex, 2 characters making out while 1 tries to go further)
Language: moderate
Violence: moderate (killing, description of how one will torture and fighting sequences)
Drugs/Alcohol: mild (scene of a party with underage drinking)
2/5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment