Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Book Review: The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima

Book Description:
One day Han Alister catches three young wizards setting fire to the sacred mountain of Hanalea. Han takes an amulet away from Micah Bayar, son of the High Wizard, to ensure the boy won’t use it against him. The amulet once belonged to the Demon King, who nearly destroyed the world a millennium ago. With a magical piece so powerful at stake, Han knows that the Bayars will stop at nothing to get it back.

Meanwhile, Princess Raisa ana’Marianna has her own battle to fight. She’s just returned to court after three years of riding and hunting with her father’s family. Raisa aspires to be like Hanalea, the legendary warrior queen who killed the Demon King and saved the world. But it seems that her mother has other plans for her—plans that include a suitor who goes against everything the Queendom stands for.

The Seven Realms will tremble when the lives of Han and Raisa collide in this stunning page-turner from best-selling author Cinda Williams Chima.


My Thoughts:

Addictive. 

And awesome.

I did nothing but read for two days after I started this book, much to the annoyance of my family. But it was soooo good! I loved Raisa and all the characters, actually. And I loved that they weren't like, "This is the first boy I've ever liked or ever kissed and now we're completely head-over-heels in love and we're going to be together forever and no one can stop us even though there's actually this other boy that I kind of like, too," the way that most YA novels are. It was a refreshing difference. Emotions felt more accurate to life and actions seemed more realistic also. 

I loved it. 

Raisa was a total non-whiny, independent, awesome girl. This is going to sound terrible, but I loved her cavalier attitude toward kissing boys. "Oh, he's cute and fun. We should just go kiss a little and then move on to someone else." Most YA novels are so, soooooo serious about kissing. It's like they don't kiss anyone until they're completely in love. I don't think that's realistic for most people. Not for me, anyway. And Raisa so realistically embodies a girl out to have a good time while she's young. And in this book Micah and Han are really believable; Meaning, I understood who they were and how they acted because of it. Amon was a very noble person, which I guess is believable, but I didn't know this guy. In my experience guys aren't usually this noble. So Amon was a bit of a stretch for me. But I liked him anyway.

Another great thing about this book is that is totally clean: no more romance than a few kisses, no real language issues. The author created slang and swear words that hold no meaning, so language is not an issue at all, really. And it was just fun. A princess, a street thief and some random other stuff in between? Go read it. It's totally worth it.

Sexual Content: Moderate
Language: Mild
Violence: Moderate
Drugs/Alcohol: Mild
 

No comments:

Post a Comment