Monday, May 12, 2014

Book Review: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Book Description:
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we’ve never been before.
My Thoughts:
So, I haven't read much by Maggie Stiefvater. I read "Linger" and thought it was kind of lame, so I didn't continue with the series and have, frankly, avoided her books. But my BFF highly recommended The Raven Boys, especially for the month of October, so I reluctantly picked it up after I'd finished all my *other* reading. 

I cannot lie. I had a really hard time getting started in this book. It took me about 50-75 pages before I was interested in the story and the characters. I just don't like Blue very much, and Gansey's introduction didn't hook me either. All the early talk of spirits and psychics was meh. 

But then. I kept reading. And ever so slowly, I was pulled into the story of the ley lines and Noah Czerny. Those are actually the two reasons I kept reading (although why (view spoiler)) And then I got invested in Adam. Adam is awesome. I don't get his weird sense of pride, but he's still awesome. And then Gansey. I started to like Gansey and his determination and his Presidential Cell Phone. And then Chainsaw. I like them all. 

I don't like Ronan. I can't help it. I think he's a douchecanoe. 

The ending was kind of patsy and the denouement happened too fast. But I definitely am invested in the story. I read the last 70 pages curled up in my car as October wind rattled and cold rain blew and I froze my face off but it was worth it. 

Absolutely read this book. Be aware that it's a slow burn - takes a bit to get into the story. It's also got some language. It's a good one to read when you're in the mood for a creepy story. And then when you're done, go look up ley lines. They are real things. And I am so intrigued by them now.
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment