Monday, April 14, 2014

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars By: John Green

Book Description:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
My Thoughts:
This is a VERY popular book and I finally got around to reading it because I kept hearing things about it. It took some young women from my church to get me to finally sit down and read it! First things first. Did I cry...nope. Everyone I've talked to told me they sobbed and cried like a baby when reading this story. I got a LITTLE misty eyed but I didn't cry. I can totally see what people cried though. it's a very heart warming story and you become attached to characters almost from page 1.

The story is about a girl named Hazel who is is in remission from problems with her lungs that have left her lungs weak and so she will always need the aid of an oxygen tank wherever she goes. She as a character (to me) seemed very bitter with life and what has happened to her, I felt like she secluded herself due to her illness and withdrew herself from life and people other than her parents and even then I felt like she kept them at a distance because she knew that death would always be lurking for her.

Hazel hates going to support group, that is until a guy-a very cute guy-won't stop staring at her, name Augustus or Gus.

Gus is also in remission from bone cancer that took part of one leg. He is the most uplifting and happy guy there who regardless of what life has thrown him gives and takes from life at its fullest and as a reader you just fall in love with him. He is pure awesomeness.

As Gus and Hazel interact the character development on Hazel's side was subtle and well written you could see her grow and change because a boy saw her differently instead of seeing her "handicap" or "illness."

It truly is a wonderful story and I can see why people gravitate to it. It's a coming of age, and a coming to terms, and a live-life-to-it's-fullest story that draw people in.

However I do warn people (or young adults) that there is some content that may be inappropriate. just be aware.

Sexual Content: moderate (PG-13,with the understanding that 2 characters sleep together-once, some innuendoes from a hormonal side character)
Language: moderate (PG-13)
Violence: mild
Drugs/Alcohol: mild (there is a character who is a drunk)

No comments:

Post a Comment