Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Book Review: The Darkest Minds By: Alexandra Bracken

Book Description:
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.

My Thoughts:
Okay let me upfront and honest about this one. I loved it but there were times when I felt it kind of dragged... yikes, I know.

I loved how this book was brutal and just BAM with emotion and you immediately connect with the characters. It seemed to me however that the author made it seem like these kids were in a concentration camp. Can I say that? I mean I felt like these kids, due to their abilities that they couldn't control where taken from their families, homes, and lives, sometimes given up because of fear and taken to these camps where they were starved, beaten, told to do pointless jobs, suffered, and sometimes killed. Where the government lied about what was really going on in the camps and etc. It seemed to me there was just a HUGE correlation between this story and the real life stories of past concentration camps. seriously, can I say this?  But once the main character Ruby escapes then it eases into it's own story...

I loved Ruby and the character development with her. I loved her way of survival and how the author made her seem to desperate yet strong. I liked how when Ruby was able to escape she was able to s SLOWLY break free of fears and yet make her still seem desperate. I wanted so badly to know what would happen to her and enjoyed everything about Ruby. Plus I loved the non complicated name of Ruby. Simple. Ruby.

Other characters in this story were Liam our leader of 2 other characters Chubs and Zu. Just after Ruby escapes a camp that she's been in for 5+ years she comes across this pack of 3 and kind of joins them in their quest to find someone who can locate their families. Liam is a gentle guy who you immediately are drawn to. Chubs is the hard headed, loyal character whom you love and want to slap at the same time. Then there is quiet Zu. Sweet quiet Zu who you just adore and want to tuck under your arm and hold close and protect. I was so interested in Zu and why she remains quiet and what her story was. All these characters are endeared to you and I loved that.

There is none stop action, a hint of romance that doesn't overwhelm the story which is nice for a change, and twists that you DO NOT see coming, plus an heart wrenching ending that just leaves you blown away and that has your heart ripped out. Yes, I loved this book.

Violence: moderate (PG-13 kids being shot, or beaten, action in car chases and fight scenes)
Language: heavy (F words and others)
Sexual Content: moderate (PG)
Drugs/Alcohol: none

No comments:

Post a Comment