Monday, December 16, 2013

Book Review: Dark Angel By TJ Bennett

Book Description:
When young widow Catherine Briton is washed ashore, the sole survivor of a violent shipwreck, all she wants is to go home to London. But injured as she is, she can’t escape when a shadowy stranger rescues her and takes her to his castle—where she’s healed with suspicious, almost magical speed.

The more time Catherine spends in the castle, the more her curiosity rises where her fiercely handsome new "master," Gerard, is concerned. As she begins to investigate, though, her discoveries only bring more questions. It seems Gerard isn't the only one on the island keeping secrets…

The small town is full of strange mysteries and townspeople who know more than they should about her. And when a hulking beast that stalks the nearby hills and valleys catches up to her, Catherine must figure out what’s going on before it’s too late.

My Thoughts:
I got this from Netgalley and it really looked awesome and couldn't wait to get started! It seemed like it would be something the author Juliet Marillier would've come up with. Kind of like a Beauty and the Beast story.

This version of whatever was great! I like that there wasn't a beastly character that it was simply a while island under some kind of spell or curse and this one person (Catherine) is the only person to have made it to the island for 100+ years. When the widow Catherine tries to get back to her home to take care of a children that were given up, she is told she won't be able to ever leave the island because nobody can get past the reefs.

Catherine is cool, not simpering and yet not hardened just a strong woman with a moral, gentle side and I liked that. She was feisty and strong in the sense that she was able to stand her ground.

What I didn't know was in the book and that I thought kind of dumb was the "adult content" I understand this was a romance I just didn't know it was gonna be THAT kind of romance which only happened ONCE but still. I didn't like that part of the spell/curse was this main "master" character guy named Gerard, when he uses his gifts/power he becomes more base and more desirable to whomever he is around and has a hard time controlling his....desires.........HUH?! that was kinda stupid for me but whatever I still enjoyed the book even though I rolled my eyes at this part of the book.

Overall if you like gothic, mysteries, with romance than this would be more for you than it was for me. I still liked it even though I opted on skipping a certain...scene. BLAH!

Sexual Content: heavy (1 sex scene, talk of having an affair, innuendos of seduction, talk of rapes)
Language: mild
Violence: moderate (talk of domestic violence, a creature killing people, story telling of women who have been raped-not detailed)
Drugs/Alcohol: mild

No comments:

Post a Comment