Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Book Review: Fields of Elysium By: A.B. Whelan


Book Description:                                                                                                                                How can love mend a heart full of hate?

Small town girl, Molly Bennett, moves to Los Angeles where she becomes an outsider while attending Beverly Hills High School. It seems life cannot be any more dreadful. Then one day after school, something magical happens. On a secluded hike in the Hollywood Hills, Molly chases her disobedient mutt and only friend into a hidden cavern. She stumbles upon a strange glimmering gateway that transports her to Arkana, a planet that is the cradle of an advanced human race. There, teenagers navigate amazing flying vehicles, compete in perilous games for glory, and possess supernatural powers. While Molly tries to wrap her mind around this unbelievable discovery, she meets the alluring and mysterious Victor Sorren. He is a Sentinel Apprentice, whose hatred toward people from Earth is beyond understanding. Yet every time Victor unpredictably saves Molly's life, his heart draws closer to hers, no matter how much he tries to fight against it. It further complicates things that their growing friendship is strictly forbidden. Earth people are prohibited in Arkana, yet Molly continues to cross through the portal to Arkana to see Victor. Torn between their double lives, they go down a dangerous path, from where there is no return and multiple endings.


Fields of Elysium is a suspenseful romantic tale full of forbidden secrets, danger, deception, and the never-ending fight for true love.

My Thoughts
I liked this book a whole HECK of a lot better than I thought I would. I liked it so much I finished it in less than 24 hours and I stayed up past midnight to do so. hee hee I loved it!

I escaped into this fantasy world, I loved every moment of it. It was glued to my hands. With detailed descriptions, to sweet romance, the action, the characters, and to all the twist and turns in the story, it had me captivated from page one and just kept me on edge.

Arkana is a world both old and new, it reminded me of something that would come out of a star trek episode where the people are so far advanced and yet their ideals, manner, and dress are old.

Molly, the protagonist in this story moves from a small town with everything she has ever known to California where she attends Beverly Hills High School. She hasn't made any real friends about something that bothered me about Molly at first was all her moping. GAH! I was rolling my eyes and thinking "oh brother... do something about your situation don't just sit there and wait for things to happen!" but then Molly discovers Arkana and suddenly her life changes. She meets people who want to be her friends. She begins to like a boy while trying to figure out why another hates her so much. And suddenly she wants to be in Arkana all the time but can't and is told to keep it a secret and never return. Things happen and she does return and ends up learning so much about herself and human nature in general.

Victor was a wonderful character to read about. His real human struggle within himself as he starts to like the very person he hates-Molly. As we learn why his hatred is so deep and why he won't allow himself to feel for her felt very real and my heart ached for him. He drew on my emotions as I got to know him and I just simply love him as a character.

If you love fantasy, and are a sucker of romance like me, plus are wanting a little bit of everything, then this book is for you. What a beautiful world the author has created! Gosh, I can’t wait to go back and find out what happens in book 2!

Violence: moderate (PG - it talks about past human wars and slaughters)
Language: mild
Drugs/Alcohol: mild
Sexual Content: moderate (PG)

No comments:

Post a Comment