Monday, August 26, 2013

Book Review: Born Wicked By: Jessica Spotswood


Book Description:
Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.

My Thoughts:
So I had tried reading this book once before and couldn't get into it. SOMEHOW I finished it this time and this is all I have to show for it... 2 stars.

UGH.

First off it couldn't hold my attention. It seemed the author wrote in a monotone voice. It was just sluggish and it dragged. THEN it picked up....then died... I can't believe this is a series! blah! I wanted to hit my head against a wall or desk or something because I couldn't get into it. I was bored reading this book. SO why did I finish it? ONE BLOODY CHARACTER grabbed my attention. Finn...

Sorry to all the fans...

I didn't care for the protagonist of this story Cate. She seemed whiny and overbearing. Granted she felt she had a duty and responsibility to help and protect her sisters since the death of their mother. I just couldn't relate I guess? She just seemed annoying!

Finn was the only interesting character although I felt the author decided to change her mind on what kind of character Finn is suppose to be. Bookwormish/nerd or love of books with a strong masculine character. I dunno I felt he started one way and ended another without any character development, it was like he just changed overnight? What's up with that?!

Whatever.

And what is up with this RANDOM out of nowhere sister who reads ROMANCE novel all of a sudden gay?! HUH?! It didn't make sense! nothing against gay people I just didn't get where THAT came from!

Again whatever.

Overall: the idea of the story was great. Witches in hiding while a brotherhood full of hypocrisy tries to take over the world sort of thing.

Sexual Content: moderate (PG)
Language: mild
Violence: mild
Drugs/Alcohol: mild

No comments:

Post a Comment