Monday, July 29, 2013

Book Review: Austenland By: Shannon Hale


Book Description:
Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New Yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her love life: no real man can compare. But when a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, Jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become realer than she ever could have imagined.

Decked out in empire-waist gowns, Jane struggles to master Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen;or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them. It's all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to fall away, and the more she wonders: Is she about to kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?
My Thoughts:
I am not a huge fan of Shannon Hale, I have read 2 others books by her 1 I thought was okay-good the other I liked a lot. So needless-to-say my expectations for this book weren't high because I wasn't sure what I was getting.

I picked this book up after watching the trailer for the upcoming book-to-film-adaptation and I thought it looked to be a cute chick-flick! Of course I had to read the book first!

So I got it from the library, and was shocked to see how SHORT it was! It was a THIN book! Well whatever I figured I could read it in a day which I did and I thought it was a simple, mindless, fun quick read.

Now Shannon Hale is mostly known for writing books for the younger audiences so I was surprised at some things she had written and realized this is a 16+ adult type book.

There are many twists and turns in in the story that I didn't see coming, especially one of the big ones. which is always a nice surprise.  Even though this is such a short book, there are a few twists and turns that keep you entertained. 

There were a few things that were awkward and the concept a little over the top to grasp but if I allowed myself to just fall for the ridiculousness of it all it wasn't that bad.

Overall: It's a chick-lit read for those days you need a quick read

Language: mild
Violence: mild
Sexual Content: mild - moderate (PG)
Drugs/Alcohol: mild

Check out my YouTube review on it:
http://youtu.be/ntyZ0dyOSLM
 


No comments:

Post a Comment